Microneedling, also known as Collagen Induction Therapy and Skin Needling is a cosmetic procedure that involves repeatedly puncturing the skin with tiny, sterile needles to induce the presence of growth hormones and collagen production. It is a relatively new technique in which research is ongoing , but has been used for a number of skin issues including scarring, fine lines and aging, pore reduction, product absorption, sun damage and discoloration, and more.
- Improves fine lines and some deeper wrinkles
- Reduces acne scars
- Evens skin tone
- Lightens hyperpigmentation and sun spots
- Reduces appearance of pores
- Firms and smooths skin texture
- Heals/reduces scars
- Reduces broken capillaries and spider veins
- Brings back the glow for fresher, younger-looking skin
This treatment is recommended in a minimum series of 3 treatments performed 4 - 6 weeks apart, but can be continued until desired results are achieved. Typically done in a series of 6. Not recommended as a single treatment, as this typically will not produce the desired results, except in the case of "tune up treatment performed periodically after the series.
Contraindications would include
- Weak immune system
- Active, inflamed acne/rosacea
- Herpes simplex/cold sore prone
- Moderate to severe chronic skin disease such as eczema and psoriasis
- Hemophilia/blood dyscrasias, patients on anticoagulant therapy
- Extreme keloidal tendency
- Active cancer/on chemo/radiotherapy
- Infectious diseases
- Recent cosmetic surgeries, laser resurfacing, chemical peels
- Recent injectables or fillers
- Use of retinol or other topical exfoliates within the last 72 hours
- Open sores/suspicious lesions
- Sunburned/irritated skin. Avoid tanning for at least one week prior
- Photo-sensitizing medications
- Other contraindicated drugs or medications
- Avoid waxing two weeks prior to treatment
What to expect after your treatment
Immediately after your treatment, the inflammatory phase, you will look as though you have a mild to moderate sunburn, and your skin may feel warm and tighter than usual, you may have some swelling. These effects are normal and they typically subside within 12 -24 hours , but some up 72 hours after your treatment. On occasion some bruising can occur, but this is not typical.
- CLEAN – Use a gentle cleanser and tepid water to cleanse the face for 72 hours post-treatment, and gently dry the treated skin. Always make sure your hands are clean when touching the treated area, and do not use a Clarisonic or other powered cleansing devices for at least one week after your treatment.
- HEAL – Use only a pure hyaluronic acid serum and chemical-free SPF during the first 12 hours. Following the initial 12 hours an antioxidant serum is recommended, as its properties are ideal to help regenrate and heal the skin.
- Avoid sun exposure for a minimum of seven days
- Avoid strenuous exercise or sweating for 72 hours, sweating can lead to adverse reactions.
- No swimming pools, oceans, or hot tubs for 7 days post treatment.
- It is highly advisable that you do not take any anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen, Motrin or Advil because they will interfere with the body's natural inflammatory process that is serious for your skin transformation. Eating fresh pineapple is said to help heighten the healing process as well as help with any discomfort (assuming you have no pineapple allergies).
- Peeling, skin dryness, and/or flaking may start 2-5 day after your treatment. Do not pick or scratch at treated skin but instead keep moisturized with pure hyaluronic acid and an antioxidant vitamin serum and/or cream.
- HYDRATE – Following your treatment, your skin may feel drier than normal. Hyaluronic Acid is an ideal ingredient you can use to hydrate and restore the skin back to perfect balance.
- STIMULATE – In the days following your treatment, and as the skin starts to regenerate, collagen-stimulating peptides are ideal to maximize the effects of the stimulation already started by the microneedling.
- MAKEUP – It is recommended, you do not apply makeup for 24 to 72 hours after the procedure. In addition, do not apply any makeup with a makeup brush, especially if the brush is not clean. A mineral based, supplemented makeup is optimal.
- PROTECT – Immediately after the procedure, a broad spectrum UVA/UVB, SPF is applied to your skin. A chemical-free SPF is recommended, chemical SPF can be irritating to the skin, especially after microneedling. Keep in mind that you should continue to use a sunscreen everyday—not only the days following your procedure—as part of your skincare routine to protect your skin from sun damage and premature aging.
Possible, not typical side effects include:
- Foreign body granuloma reaction from using products certain ingredients post treatment (these ingredients are avoided).
- Oozing and swelling during the recovery phase.
- Skin infection with bacteria (rare) or herpes simplex virus (cold sores).
- Milia, which can be easily removed.
- Acne flare, which is usually mild.